Cooking special food on Rakhi festival is a must in India. Try out some of the most popular recipes for Raksha Bandhan:
One of the colors of the rainbow of Indian festivals, Raksha Bandhan holds a special
significance in the Indian culture. Rakhi stands for the chaste and subtle bond
of love and affection bond between a brother and a sister. This festival is one
of the few festivals of India that indulges very deeply into the minds and emotions
of every Indian
On the day of Raksha Bandhan, the sisters get up early and after taking bath start preparing special Rakhi delicacies for their loving brothers. Auspicious occasion of Raksha Bandhan calls for celebration and best of festive food! Try out these delicious Rakhi Recipes with love and delight your brother or sister with dishes made by you. In case you too have a special recipe for Rakhi do share it with us. We shall publish your Raksha Bandhan recipe on this page along with your name.
Perry Cherry Laddoos
Coconut powder 1/2kg
Cardamom powder 4 tsp
Cashew nuts 5 tbsp
- Peel off all the pears.
- Take water in a pot and add some salt to it.
- Then put all the pears in this water for 10 mints.
- Then grate them all and remove the extra water by squeezing the grated pears.
- Take 1 cup water in a pan and add the sugar and prepare sugar syrup by heating it.
- Then mix the grated pear into it and simmer it for next 15-20 mints.
- Then cool it and add cardamom powder and half of the coconut powder to it.
- Make laddoos of the mixture and roll it into the rest half of coconut powder.
- Decorate all the laddoos by putting some red cherries on top of each one.
Pumpkin Kheer Recipe
Pumpkin 1 medium size
Milk 1.5 lt
Sugar 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts 10-12
Saffron 1/4 tsp dissolved in 1 tsp water
- Peel off the pumpkin and grate it well. Squeeze the grated pumpkin and put it aside.
- Put the milk in a pan and boil it until it gets thick.
- Keep stirring it continuously.
- Add sugar to it and after 5-7 mints add the grated pumpkin too.
- Cook the mixture for 25 mints at low flame.
- Keep stirring the mixture at intervals.
- When the pumpkin kheer is cooked add cardamom powder, cashew nuts, saffron and raisin.
6 Raw bananas
1/4 cup fresh peas, boiled
1/4 cup beet root, boiled and finely chopped
1 tbsp. each mint leaves & coriander leaves finely chopped
4-5 green chillies finely chopped
1" piece ginger grated (optional)
1/2 tsp. each mustard & cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. Amchur
oil to deep fry
1-1/2 cups Breadcrumbs
salt to taste
Steam whole bananas with skins, till soft. Remove skins. Mash while still hot. And keep aside. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a pan, add seeds, and allow spluttering. Add asafetida, mint, coriander, chillies, ginger, amchur, peas and beet root. Mix this well with the mashed bananas. Add salt and other spices as well.
Heat oil in a pan. Shape the cutlets with the mixture; roll them in the breadcrumbs and deep fry till golden brown. Drain and serve hot with green chutney or tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.
1cup Roasted Vermicelli
1.5 liter Milk
½ tsp. Cardamom Powder
½ tsp. Saffron
Dry fruit and resins
Boil the milk in a broad mouth pan add the roasted Vermicelli and sugar to taste. Let it boil till thick. Dissolve saffron in 1tsp. Water. Add cardamom and saffron to the thick vermicelli and milk mixture Garnish with soaked almonds and resins.
250 grams Besan
3 tbsp Maida
2 tbsp corn flour
3 tbsp rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 Potato (large) finely chopped
1 carrot (large) finely chopped
2 onion, chopped
½ cumin powder
½ turmeric powder
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) oil
1 cup (250 ml) water, approximately
Salt and red chilly powder to taste
300 ml water
Oil for shallow frying.
Mix all the ingredients and make a thick batter with water. Keep aside for 10 minutes. In the mean time grease a pan and heat it. Now drop the batter in 2'' rounds in the pan fry till deep yellow on both the sides. Serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
250 grams besan
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. red chilly powder
1 tsp. dried pomegranate seeds
1 tsp. Coriander paste
1 medium sized onion, chopped
1 medium sized potato, chopped
1 green chilly chopped.
Salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients to make a thick batter. Heat oil in a frying pan. Drop chunks of the batter in hot oil and fry till light brown. Drain cut into small pieces using a blunt knife and re fry till crisp. Serve hot with green chutney and tamarind chutney.
250 grams plain flour, sifted
1 tbsp. powdered sugar
oil for frying
500 grams sugar
625 ml water
1/4-teaspoon ground cardamom
Fresh cream sweetened
Put sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes till thick syrup is formed.
Mix sifted flour, sugar and water to form smooth, medium thickness batter and keep aside for 30 min. Heat oil in a shallow flat-bottomed pan. Carefully spread the mixture in the pan and fry till golden brown. Transfer the pancake into the sugar syrup. Serve hot garnished with cardamom, rosewater and fresh cream.
1 Lt. Milk
75 gms sugar
50 grams nariyal chura (coconut powder)
20 grams pistachios, chopped
20 grams almonds, chopped
Boil milk reduce heat and let it simmer for 45-minutes to one hour till thick paste like. Keep stirring in between. Add sugar and coconut powder and stir till sugar dissolves. Grease a thali and pour the batter. Garnish with pistachios and almonds. Let it cool and cut into square or rhomboid pieces.
3 cups Rice cooked with 1 tbsp butter/ghee/oil
1/2 cup thick Tamarind extract
3 tbsp Chana Dal
2 tbsp grated Ginger
2 level tsp Red Chili powder
1 level tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Asafetida powder
6-8 Green Chilies slit in two
3-4 dry Chilies
Few Curry Leaves
5 tbsp Cashew nuts (broken up and kept)- Optional
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
Salt to Taste
- Heat ½ cup vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot add the chana dal, dry chillies, curry leaves, green chillies,
asafetida powder or a small piece of solid Asafetida.
- Fry until the Dal is golden brown.
- Now, add the salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, grated ginger, broken cashew nuts
and stir for a few minutes on a low flame. Don't let the turmeric and chili powder
- Boil for 15-20 minutes till the quantity reduces to half and the mixture becomes
- Put the cooked rice in a dish, add the prepared mixture and required quantity of
the Tamarind extract.
- Mix to the rice and stir well. Keep covered until ready to serve.